Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Grammatical Effects of Unintentional Peer Pressure.

          For a large chunk of our childhood, all we know is parents. They're the ones (in most cases) who taught us how to speak in the first place, so of course they're the majority share holders of our speech methods. I believe that all that changes when a child has his first day of school. It's a new world, and that child will no doubt be hearing words they've never heard before, and not just words, but how they're pronounced as well.  Such is the beauty in the flexibility of the English language.

         I feel that the older you get, the more you create your own certain style of language, and the impact others may have on you becomes less and less. I say that mostly because that is how my childhood was. Coincidentally, it seems as though my English straightened up soon after graduating from high school.
   
        I would like to say that the entirety of slang has left me for good, but that would be quite impossible. When hanging out with my circle of friends, one of us would come up with an incredibly hilarious word or phrase to describe something. It didn't necessarily have to make sense (in fact, most of the time, it didn't), but we all knew from then on what it was, and would giggle every time one of us used it. We're constantly coming up with new phrases, and discarding the old. Thought it may sound like nonsense to anyone in our immediate area at the time, we all know exactly what the other is talking about... But I guess that's basically what slang is, right?

1 comment:

  1. 1) After reading your blog, I agree what you are saying about being proper because I'm working on keeping my words correct and in order.
    2)How did you feel switching from slang to proper english?
    3)One thing I recommend is to split your post into paragraphs, for example look at Miguels blog. Its look to cram to me because alot of infomation is cram into one. Overall, its great.

    ReplyDelete