Monday, October 17, 2011

My Neighborhood Reflection

Our surroundings can have a major impact on who we are, or who we become. More specifically, the surroundings we grew up in. If we lived in a particularly flavorful neighborhood, chances are we would grow up to reflect the activity in that neighborhood. Same with a boring, plain neighborhood. We'd more than likely end up boring, and not knowing anything other than what we grew up in. My point is that for most people, our surroundings have a huge impact on the person we become.

This concept is not always the case though. I, for instance, grew up surrounded by terrible rap, and sagging pants. I do not look down upon people who have adopted this lifestyle. It just simply isn't me. I believe that when it comes to this situation, there are two categories people may fall under: people adopt a lifestyle because of their environment, and people who've adopted their lifestyle despite their surroundings. There is however, a lot of space in between these two categories that one may fall in, and I believe that this is where I reside.

I do believe that had I grown up in a different area, I'd have come out a different person. Not because I followed the behavior that was around me, but maybe because I saw it happening constantly, and it gave me the idea of what I don't want to be. I wanted my personality to be as much me as possible, and not sculpted around an environmental stereotype. I listen to music that was uncommon in my neighborhood. I grew up hearing a lot of Eminem, 50 Cent, Outkast, and all that stuff. I find all of that to be just terrible noise. Another example is my appearance. Where over-sized white T-shirts and baggy jeans were popular, I was wearing quirky, medium sized t-shirts with white cargo pants. there are countless factors that go into a person's personality, and though environment plays a huge role, I don't believe that your entire demeanor can be related to where you grew up, where you currently reside, or anything like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment